Knaafe is another traditional mid-eastern sweet, which is widely sold here, where ever you look. When Scott informed me with this event, making knaafe comes to my mind, the only thing challenging is that I have to add fruit, so to make the little twist on the original recipe, I used banana. Baked banana, pistachio, melted cheese and heavy syrup…. mmm… heavenly isn’t it?
- Glucose syrup
- 150 gr of shredded Fillo dough
- 3 medium bananas
- 1 stick of butter
- 250 gr Haloumi/ Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1/2 cup powder sugar
- 1 tsp orange food colouring
- 1 tsp orange blossom water
- Melt butter in sauce pan in a low heat, while melting add the shredded fillo dough gradually, when the dough absorb all the butter, remove from the heat and divide the dough into two equal portions.
- Heat the oven, 200′ C
- Mix cheese , powder sugar, and orange blossom water in a blender.
- Arrange the banana on the pan, cover with the 1/2 prepared dough, lay the cheese patties on top of it.
- Mix the orange food colouring with the rest of the dough, and cover the cheese patties layer.
- Baked for 20 mins with bottom fire and another 20 mins with upper fire.
- Garnish with pistachio and pour the heavy syrup just before serving, best eaten while still warm.