Jakarta Beef Soup (Soto Betawi)
Well, if New York has it’s cheesecake, Jakarta has it’s beef soup😉 . This one is my edition of the soup, which I used ONLY meat of the cow ??! ( the original contains beef intestines too)😀 .
The great thing about Indonesian dish is it has a lot of exotic spices and herbs. Cooking it, is like formulating your own “love potion”, as cheesy as it sounds but really … you can almost just smell it in the air if your dish is done or has the perfect combinations of ingredients.
- 1 kg sirloin beef (trancher)
- 1/2 kg small potato (cut in halves)
- 2 big tomatoes (diced)
- 500 ml coconut milk-liquid or 1 cup coconut milk powder
- 2 cups of water (if you are using liquid coconut milk) or 3 cups of water (for powder)
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- Juice of 1 big lemon
- 1 stick of lemongrass
- 2 lemon leaves
- 2 (Indonesian) bay leaves
- 1 medium red onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 knuckle of ginger
- 1 candle nut
- Make paste out of the onion, garlic, ginger and candle nut.
- Heat the oil and saute the paste until soft.
- Add the meat, and saute again until the meat changes its colour.
- Add the coconut milk, stir, add water , stir the add the lemon grass, lemon leaves and bay leaves.
- Add the potatoes, season with salt.
- Cook for 30 -45 minutes, stir every once a while.
- Just before serving, add the lemon juice and fresh tomatoes.
- Serve hot with minced green chillies (optional😉 ), melinjo crackers and steamed rice.